Well ... progress IS being made ... it's amazing how long it takes me to accomplish basically ANYTHING nowadays ... I start to do something that should realistically take 2 hours ... and 5 hours later I'm still dealing with "issues" that have come up on the effort ... I'm not really sure why this happens ... but it does with enough regularity that I have simply come to accept it as "the way things are" ...
Here are some pictures of the crib laid out on my workbench and "clamped" together to check several things:
1. Is it "square" ? ... You see "squareness" for me is a bit of an issue ... just look at the garden gate or any other thing I have had a hand in building ... "square" is one of those "goals" that I keep reaching for ... happily in this case the crib IS in fact "square" ... .... ... 'enough'
2. Does the mattress spring (and thus the future to be had mattress) actually fit inside the crib (to be) as it is supposed to? This has been one of those things that keeps me up at night ... did I measure correctly? ... did I cut correctly? ... knowing me as I do ... did I measure AND cut correctly and then find some other way to screw things up? ... again I am happy to report that "so far" (and we have a long way to go affording I am sure MANY opportunities to screw it up) the springs do in fact fit inside as they should.
3. What about the "leg length"? I've been concerned about this for several reasons the biggest of which being that I have modified the "plan" as it came to accommodate a different more "mission style" look and that meant changing the shape and size of the "headboard" which in turn changed several of the measurements that effect height and leg length ... AND ... when I was dimensioning the wood on the planer I was faced with several 'decisions' about how to get the longest possible piece of useable wood out of the rough lumber I had bought ... these decisions too had an impact on how long the "leg" pieces got cut. After the dry clamp up shown in the pictures I took several measurements and determined that I skated by with a whole 1.5 inches to spare ... whew!!!
So .... these pictures are just a dry clamp up showing progress to date as I took the measurements for the next critical steps of drilling holes for dowels and construction screws.
This entry was posted
on Friday, January 02, 2009
at Friday, January 02, 2009
. You can follow any responses to this entry through the
comments feed
.