We left Palm Springs around 7:30AM PST and proceeded to San Luis Obispo.
The wind was phenomenal as we left Palm Springs ... it was blowing sand and small rock all over the highway ... I was gritting my teeth thinking about what I suspect will turn out to be a pitted windshield and paint ... it was UGLY and Carolyn has all she could handle to keep MiniRita on the road through the mountains in the wind.
Palm Springs is a VERY picturesque little town ... leaving Palm Springs ... not so much ... very very desert like ... think Egypt ... worse than West Texas ... hills, mountains, plains ... all sand ...
As we motored thru the outskirts of Los Angeles the wind died down for the most part ... once we got on Hwy 101 we had a better scenic drive but a couple of things became abundantly clear:
1 - California has not spent ANY money on road repairs in a LONG time ... and they need to ,,, pot holes, rough spots ... really bad at 65mph
2 - The further West one drives ... the less attention people pay to speed limits ... whether it says 65 or 70 or ... it doesn't matter ... people drive however damn fast they feel like and it is apparent that the highway patrol doesn't care or isn't staffed to fine the speeders ... I'd wager that a week of passing out tickets on IH10 or 101 would clear up the state deficit ... Carolyn and I have tried to stay at or just barely over the posted speed limits on this trip ... and when we were doing 67mph down 101 (posted 65mph limit) we were being run over by every vehicle on the road ... including highway patrol, trucks, busses, RVs ... I'm pretty sure I saw a horse drawn buggy zip past at 80mph ... and the motorcycles are definitely motoring along near 100mph ... it was scary and rampant!
We arrived at our hotel safe and sound ... it is a GREAT hotel, wonderful 2 room suite, good wireless internet (free), good breakfast , heated pool and spa, fridge, microwave ... I think it will be perfect for the week! The hotel is about 20 miles from the mandolin building camp.
I've posted my first log about the mandolin building camp over on my Lutherie Web Log if you are interested take a look ... it's going to be a great learning experience I do believe ...
Gotta get an early start tomorrow ...
Bade
This entry was posted
on Monday, October 05, 2009
at Monday, October 05, 2009
. You can follow any responses to this entry through the
comments feed
.