Well, the United States celebrates its independence on July 4th ... I officially announced my independence from IBM today July 6th. I contacted my manager and requested that she initiate the necessary steps to make my retirement after 36 years and 1 month effective July 31, 2010.
It's been a good ride for the most part ... I have encountered incredible people, traveled a bit and definitely had the opportunity to grow personally and professionally. I have been present to see the phenomenal explosion of the computer and information technology's impact on the human race from a ring side seat ... I've even been inside the ring in some instances and can say I actually had a hand in some of the impact. I was a very early user of what became the "Internet / World Wide Web" and got to enjoy the sense of wonder people experienced as I provided education and tutorial to new users. I was one of the first 'work at home' employees of IBM and one of the first wave of 'laptop computer' users ... the change has been astounding and I am grateful for the part I have played and the opportunity to participate directly in the change.
Things are definitely not the same nowadays within the company. One of the founding tenets of the IBM company was "Respect for the individual" ... sadly I have also had a ring side seat to watch that belief within the management of the company erode to the point where it is a far distant memory in the few of us that are old enough to remember when it existed. In the past 10 years IBM has fallen from one of the most respected American companies and most desirable places to work to a middle of the pack 'also ran'. It's really too bad because I still believe the majority of the employees in IBM and most certainly the ones I have had the privilege to work alongside for the last 36 years are representative of America's best and brightest. The executive and upper management levels of the company however have taken a serious turn for the worse and I no longer have any respect for the people running this once great company.
So ... farewell to IBM ... I look forward to July 31, 2010 with a sense of expectation for what is to come with the change in my life and the impact it will have on my family. I believe that it is the right time to make this transition and am anxious to see what the next chapter will hold.
This entry was posted
on Tuesday, July 06, 2010
at Tuesday, July 06, 2010
. You can follow any responses to this entry through the
comments feed
.