Carolyn's new bed is taking shape ...  

Posted by Bade Millsap

The current "shop project" is a mission style queens sized bed for Carolyn.  This bed will go in "Brandi's room" and will replace a full sized bed that was Carolyn's when she was a girl at her parents home.

Carolyn has been on me for several years asking for a mission style bed (headboard and footboard) and that project finally bubbled to the top of the pile.

I went to a small lumber mill in Huntsville, Texas and purchased a little over 120 board feed of rough quarter sawn red oak ... the grain in this wood looked like it could be pretty spectacular ...

After several hours of cutting I had the "pieces parts" roughly cut to length ...

From QueenMissionBed

I could see that the grain was looking pretty good

From QueenMissionBed

After several hours of plaining and cutting to final sizes I was able to dry assemble the beginnings of the foot board ... getting all those square holes to line up with the square pegs was no small trick ...

From QueenMissionBed

Making the legs for this bead was a real challenge ... I used what is called a lock miter joint cut on my router table ... it took 128 passes total to cut the joints for all four legs ...

From QueenMissionBed

These are pics of the headboard and footboard all pieced together and dry fit ... final sanding and finish and glue is next

From QueenMissionBed

From QueenMissionBed

From QueenMissionBed

Hope to be done before Halloween ...

This entry was posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at Wednesday, August 31, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment